Saturday 13 August 2011

churrotastic



Thanks to the help of my lovely assistant Rory my first attempt at deep frying was not only a non life-threatening one, but remarkably hassle free yielding a delicious bounty of doughnutty yummyness. I've always been a little scared of large pots of hot oil but I'm quite drawn to things of a deep fried nature so with a bit of encouragement from Rory we decided to explore it together.

The goal for the day: make churros without setting the house on fire. Extra bonus points if they actually taste good.

I think it can be said that the day was a success. So much so that I think I'm going to be having regular bake dates with the lovely Rory in the weeks and months to come. Next adventure, gyoza. But that's for another day.

The churros turned out remarkably easy to make although the timing on the cooking was a little tricky to get the hang of, but after a bit of trial and error with a few slightly on-the-gooey-side doughnuts in the bunch, I think we got the hang of it. Great excuse to gobble them all up as we went along as well.

I got the recipe from (I sound like such a broken record) River Cottage. It was basically a choux pastry for the batter. I was intrigued to find a very different recipe from Nigella Lawson and fully intend on making a comparison between the two sometime in the not too distant future, being the extreme kitchen nerd that I am. Should anyone care about the outcome I will of course bore you with that as and when it happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-25986944-1