Friday 8 July 2011

Here we go!

So, this being my first foray into the world of blogging I am understandably, I think, I little apprehensive. Not least of all because of my disastrous grammar and spelling, so lets get that out of the way right now. I am no English graduate so please excuse any mistakes you may find here. I'll try and keep them to a minimum.

I've always had a huge interest in food. Starting out in my aunt's kitchen when I was about as high as the counter, I then got a new nerdy recipe maker on our old word processor - it was the height of sophistication you know, one font, one layout, it was basically a typewriter but it essentially created my first cookbook. I found the recipes the other day - very nostalgic. And then there was my granny's warm kitchen with her delicious apple pies and brown bread, made the good old fashioned way, on the table, no bowl needed - I'm never brave enough to try it that way now - milky, floury disaster. Good old fashioned stuff basically and I loved it. Then life took over for a few years and I got distracted by other things. Living with my sister, and my inherent laziness, I found it all too easy to let her take over the cooking while I waited patiently in the pub with a pint for the phone call to tell me my dinner was on the table. It was all very 1950's homemaker. (With me playing the part of the lazy husband? - not sure about that analogy!)

Anyway, living on my own again and it's up to me to look after myself. I sometimes miss the company and I always miss the good food. There's nothing like setting a table, cooking a meal, and sitting down with the food and the chats. So the only option is to step up, get on with it and rediscover the kitchen, and I'm loving it. The only problem is, living on my own, I have to constantly come up with reasons to lure people into my kitchen, or alternatively develop a serious weight problem. Having done a couple of part time cooking classes this year, and with the food revolution hitting the nation and my generation in particular, my appetite is truly whet.

So I'm putting together this blog to organise myself. To try and figure out the good (read cheap and quality) places to buy produce, the movers and shakers in the Irish food world (having lived in London for most of my adult life, I'm much more familiar with going's on over the water) and generally to find an outlet for my foodie urges.

My first endeavour is to put together a supper club at the end of the month so I imagine the next few weeks will be consumed with that. Now, what to cook? And where to sit everyone???

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-25986944-1